Maria Hanna Joseph, Principal of Joseph Mediation, is a seasoned employment law attorney and mediator who is regarded highly by her peers and their clients, alike. They know Maria as knowledgeable, candid, pragmatic and persevering and rely on her steadfast commitment to help achieve meaningful settlements while keeping sight of their most important interests.
Maria’s 25 years of experience in employment law lend her significant perspective in understanding and mediating an array of legal and personal issues. With more than 15 of these years spent mediating and administrating hundreds of cases for the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (“MCAD”), Maria is able to draw on valuably gained insight into the MCAD, its practices and decision making, as well as an important contextual view and understanding of the types of allegations, parties and practitioners before it. Maria’s services are also significantly enhanced by her experience in plaintiff and defense litigation, her work with private and public sector clients, international and local business entities and concerns, and of course her experience with issues from harassment and discrimination, to noncompetition agreements, to business and operational concerns, to transgender workplace matters, to retaliation and many others.
Maria’s services also provide the benefits of extensive education and training. She has studied mediation at Harvard Law School’s Program of Instruction for Lawyers and negotiation at Harvard Law School’s Program on Negotiation. As well, Maria has trained in the disciplines of Transformative Mediation and Family/Domestic Mediation which, worth noting, are poignant assets in managing the personal nature of employment disputes and conflict in general.
Parties and the resolutions that manifest are well served by Maria’s knowledge, understanding, creativity and deftness that her experience, exposure and training afford. These, along with her demeanor and the trust she engenders, are qualities that have earned her a reputation for being able to manage highly tense, fraught situations and individuals, and settle a wide variety of disputes and tough cases.
- 25 years in employment and discrimination law
- 17 years in employment and discrimination law mediation
- MCAD Early Intervention Pro Se Mediation Program (2000-2015)
- MCAD Mediator (2000-2016)
- 2,000+ cases served
- Knowledgeable, creative, pragmatic
- Candid, persevering
- Reputation for being able to settle tough cases
- High client satisfaction
Certification, Training, Education
- Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation
- Harvard Law School, Program on Instruction for Lawyers, “Mediation Workshop” (Click here for general information)
- Transformative Mediation Training
- Advanced Domestic/Family Mediation Training
- Domestic/Family Mediation Training
- Basic Mediation Training
- Diversity Trainer Training
- Juris Doctorate earned from Whittier Law School, Los Angeles, California
- Bachelor of Arts earned from Juniata College, PA and Boston University, MA
- Worcester Academy, MA
Recognition Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ John Dunlop Dispute Resolution Award for Innovative System Design (Early Intervention Mediation Program, MCAD) Publication Maximizing the Potential of Mediation (co-author) Memberships and Affiliations